Quillan, France

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Contemplating the Logistics!

Lately, I have been awake at night trying to figure out how we are going to make all of this moving to France work! Buying the house was the easy part and the fun part.  We really enjoyed looking at all of the houses and exploring all of the areas.  The South of France is beautiful and the landscape is diverse.  We saw such beautiful areas, quaint towns, and fantastic cities.

Now the necessary paperwork on our part is complete and working with SmartCurrencyExchange.com to purchase the needed Euros is done--so, with nothing left to do on the purchase--I am beginning to worry about the actual moving.  The big question for me now is:  Do we pay for shipping furniture and household goods to France or do we just go to France and start all over buying everything needed to furnish a 3 bedroom home?  It all seems overwhelming!

It is mostly the lack of language that worries me.  I just don't know how we will be able to talk to someone about buying a car, registering it, buying furniture, hiring a moving truck if we find furniture--all of the logistics--it just seems very daunting.  Then there is the issue of hiring and working with contractors.  We have been studying our French--but it is slow going for us.  Some days I think that I will never learn to speak French--but then, I think surely I can do this and I just keep plodding along.  It is a good thing that we will only be there 2-3 weeks several times a year for at least the next 2 years--and hopefully, that will give us enough to time to learn more--now--it nearly seems impossible!

Sometimes I think maybe we should just ship furniture there--then, I wouldn't have to look for it, talk to people with a very crude attempt at French, or worry about how to get it moved.  But, then, I see the price of shipping and I decide my French will improve--money just may be the motivator that I need!



                                                         

2 comments:

  1. Good on you for studying French ahead of time. If you get stuck on something, you can try emailing me, although you might be better off making friends with someone from Quebec! Bonne chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rosetta stone looks like a great way to learn a language.

    ReplyDelete